Thursday, August 21, 2008

This isn't exactly how I pictured motherhood


Today the Hatchling and I were driving home from a playdate. Just before getting into the car, the Hatchling had tripped and scraped her knees and hands a little, so she'd been crying. She quickly calmed down, though, and was sitting calmly in her seat when I heard her say "Thank you!" in the tone that means she's handing me something she no longer wants. I figured she was done with her water bottle, so I reached my hand back to grab it, and she placed something in the palm of my hand. I pulled my hand back to find ... a booger. From her nose. In the palm of my hand. "Thank you!" she said politely, and I found myself saying "You're welcome!" right back. As I was trying to dig in my purse for a tissue without running off the road, she handed me another one. "Thank you!"

At least she has manners. I guess.