Thursday, September 03, 2009

School Daze


The Hatchling is starting preschool next week; this week she visited her class and met her teacher on Tuesday, and today there was a 1-hour "practice" session so the kids could get used to getting dropped off and the whole class routine. There were lots of nervous/excited parents and a couple of freaked out kids, but mostly it was a festival of cute. The Hatchling was very excited to get there and seemed OK when I left; I took the Sprout on a little grocery trip, and then headed back to the school to pick the Hatchling up. Got there and the classroom doors were still closed, lots of parents milling about in the halls. The doors open, and the teacher (Miss Jenny) comes out and says, "normally we'll just send them out to you, but they're pretty overwhelmed today, so if you want to come in and get them, you can." There's a surge of anxious kids out the door looking for their parental units ... No Hatchling. The Sprout and I make our way into the class, and way over in the corner farthest from the door sits the Hatchling and a little boy in earnest conversation.

"Hi, Boo!" I say. "Whatcha doing?"

"Um, I'm just talkin' about dinosaurs wif my friend, Mama."

Well, OK then. After showing me the entire classroom and reluctantly agreeing to leave the dinosaurs and the magnifying glasses and the toy trucks at school, the Hatchling was persuaded to leave the room. On our way out, I asked Miss Jenny how the Hatchling had done. Miss Jenny rolled her eyes and laughed. "Oh, she's going to be FINE. Totally made herself at home."

That's my girl.