Tuesday, January 06, 2009

New Year's Rejections


So, while I get the principle of New Year's resolutions, they mostly make me feel like a failure at some point during the year, and lord knows I don't need any help with THAT. I'm having a bit of a downer of a week anyway, partly trying not to get freaked out about the second kid, partly money worries (join the club!) partly that I've been on a Nick Hornby streak lately, and while the dude can definitely write and is often funnier than hell, he's not always exactly uplifting. Also: this FUCKING MINNESOTA WEATHER. Christ, I hate the cold and the snow. And I hate it even worse when I'm responsible not only for moving my own fat pregnant ass around but also a squirming, slightly rambunctious toddler, size XL.

But I digress. The point is, I decided it would make me feel better to list the things I plan on rejecting in 2009. So here's a list of things that will be getting a big ole middle finger accompanied by several rude noises in the coming 12 months:

1. Dieting. Rejected totally, comprehensively, and absolutely. 'Cos it doesn't work, one, and it's bollocks science, two, and it sucks, three.

2. People dying. Yeah, I know it will still happen, but I REJECT IT.

3. Feeling like a failure either professionally, maternally, socially, or otherwise. I will do the best I can on all fronts, and people will just have to DEAL.

4. Bigotry. One of these days I'm going to be behind a car with a "Yes on Prop 8" or those stupid mudflap girls or, hell, even "Bush/Cheney '04" and I am just going to REAR END IT. Consider yourselves warned, people who almost certainly do not read this blog.

5. Shitty TV/Movies/Music. Unless it's the good kind of shitty. Because life is just too short.

Whew, that feels better. Join me in some negativity, won't you? What do you reject this year?