Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Random Tidbits


Iiiiiiiiiit's HUMPDAY! I have no focus! Therefore I will mostly link to other stuff!

1. A substitute teacher in Florida was fired because he was accused of ... wait for it ... wizardry. Yeah. Reason #57638274 why I will never live in Florida.

2. This Harper's article on raw milk makes me a) depressed, b) interested in trying raw milk, c) consider going back to vegetarianism, and d) pissed off about the state of the planet in general and agribusiness in particular. Worth a read.

3. Dooce rocks it hard pretty much all the time, but this is especially righteous:

Will you resent me for this website? Absolutely. And I have spent hours and days and months of my life considering this, weighing your resentment against the good that can come from being open and honest about what it's like to be your mother, the good for you, the good for me, and the good for other women who read what I write here and walk away feeling less alone. And I have every reason to believe that one day you will look at the thousands of pages I have written about my love for you, the thousands of pages other women have written about their own children, and you're going to be so proud that we were brave enough to do this. We are an army of educated mothers who have finally stood up and said pay attention, this is important work, this is hard, frustrating work and we're not going to sit around on our hands waiting for permission to do so. We have declared that our voices matter.

4. Shanny gave me a Blogging Friends Forever Award! And I didn't even order the yearbook! She also called me "brilliant, talented, beautiful, and hilarious," so you might want to read her blog while you can because she's clearly suffering from some kind of fatal brain disease. This award has been going around since last February, and has been given to some pretty awesome bloggers. Since I naturally only read awesome blogs, this makes the choice of who to pass it along to fairly difficult, but after some thought I'm choosing Jordan of The Wonderwheel to be next in the BFF chain of bloggy goodness. Jordan, like Shanny and me, is a mommy-blogger, who in addition to writing about her two extremely adorable boys also blogs a fair amount about her work with autistic kids and about autism generally. She *regularly* makes me tear up with her writing - but always in a good way - and her materialistic Monday posts have incited me to many an unnecessary but oh-so-lovely purchase. In short, she is teh awesome blogztre$$ and definitely one of my mommy-blogging heroes. You should check her out.