Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday Recipe Blogging


Did you grow up on the Winnie-the-Pooh books by A. A. Milne? (Note: I said "books" not "movies" and "by A. A. Milne," not "by Disney.") If you didn't, I'm not really sure what to say to you except GO READ THEM NOW. If you did, then you'll perhaps remember "Cottleston Pie," one of Pooh's many zen-koan-like rhymes.

Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply
Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie.

Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie,
Why does a chicken? I don't know why.
Ask me a riddle and I reply
Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie.

Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie,
A fish can't whistle and neither can I.
Ask me a riddle and I reply
Cottleston Cottleston Cottleston Pie.

Anyhoo, I was having some friends over for brunch the other day, and looking for something to make, and I came across this recipe for Cottleston Pie in my vintage 1969 Pooh cookbook. So I made it, and boy was it scrumptious. Perhaps you would like to make it, too.

Cottleston Pie
adapted from The Pooh Cookbook

1 nine-inch pie shell baked until firm but not brown
3/4 c. diced, cooked, ham
1/4 c. chopped green onion or chives
3 eggs
2 c. whipping cream*
1/4 tsp. salt
grind pepper
1 1/2 Tblsp butter, cut into tiny dots
1/2 c. grated cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Distribute the ham on the bottom of the baked pie shell. Beat the egg, cream, and seasonings until thoroughly mixed. Stir in green onion and pour mixture on top of ham. Scatter the butter dots and cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until pie has puffed up and browned. Serve piping hot.

*You could, of course, use half-and-half or whole milk instead of cream ... but you have to ask yourself, is that really what Pooh would want?