Monday, June 05, 2006

Coping


Babies. What a weird bunch. So we brought the Hatchling to the Doctor on Friday, and she squalled and squawked just like she had been doing, and sure enough, the doctor said it was probably colic. (Or colic-esque, since true colic is supposed to go from 2 weeks to 12 weeks - shudder.) She told me to cut out dairy from my diet for 2 weeks, just in case it's a milk allergy, recommended a book for us to get* and said, basically, be indulgent: if there's anything you can do to calm the baby, do it, and don't worry about establishing bad habits or anything. And if there's nothing you can do to calm the baby, then just set the timer for 20 minutes and leave her in her crib while you take deep breaths. Oy.

But then ... well ... we brought her home and she slept. Didn't fuss. Just slept, and slept, and slept, with breaks for feeding in between. And that's basically been her pattern ever since. Sleep, eat, play a little, fuss a little, sleep some more. We're letting her sleep on us, if that's what works, and we're still dosing her with Prevacid, but, like, what the hell? I mean, don't get me wrong - this is a positive development! I'm not complaining! (Though god knows what I'd do if we had more than one kid and I couldn't park my ass on the sofa for 10 hours a day.) But I sure am looking forward to the time when she gets a little more predictable. Whoo.

*The book, incidentally, is awesome. The Happiest Baby on the Block, by Harvey Karp. Dippy title, but a goldmine of helpful information.