Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Halfway There


I'm at 20 weeks as of today - halfway there, assuming I go to full term. According to the BabyCenter.com email I just got:

By now your baby is about the size of a large sweet potato, and a creamy, whitish substance called vernix caseosa is starting to cover his skin. This coating will protect his skin from weeks of bathing in amniotic fluid but will most likely disappear by the time he's born. Your baby is swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system.

Can someone explain to me why all the pregnancy resources compare fetus size to edible objects? I want to have the baby, not eat it. Sheesh.

Ultrasound tomorrow, about which I am irrationally trepidatious. I'm sort of afraid they'll look in there and see something with horns or only half a head. Like I said, irrational. But hopefully we'll have a picture or two to share!